Part 2: What's in a Name? The Stories Behind RidgeWood West's Streets

Jan 17, 2017

Entrance Feature

Whether it’s the street you grew up on or the bay where you bought your first home, every crescent, cove, road and place has a symbolic meaning behind the name. It’s been said that the heritage of our city can be reflected on the names of our neighbourhood streets – and RidgeWood West is no exception.

What’s in A Name? The Stories Behind RidgeWood West’s Streets explored the street names in Phase 1A. Below are the stories about the Charleswood families and residents who inspired the street names in the Phase 1B!

Crocker Place

As a Veteran of the 13th Field Artillery in the Second World War, Bill Crocker moved to Charleswood in 1954 and opened Charleswood Bldg. Supplies with his wife Ruth in 1956. They were dedicated to sponsoring many community sporting events like curling, bowling and baseball. Bill started the Senior Slow Pitch League where he played for many years, and was also an umpire. Bill served as the Charleswood Legion #100 Sport Chairman placing him in charge of all sports and sports fundraising for several years.

Joynson Crescent

Francis E. Joynson, served as a Pilot Officer with the 424 Squadron. A Charleswood native, Joynson was killed in action on June 29th, 1944 and was buried in the National Cemetery in Marissel, France.

Munnion Road

Harold and Elsie Munnion lived and raised their family in Charleswood. Their five children became vital and prominent members of the community. Two of their sons, Derrick and Alf, were deployed to Europe and served in the Second World War. An avid supporter and fan of local sports, Derrick spent many years serving as an umpire for the local Little League Baseball community.

Derrick's wife Irene, also from the area, was heavily involved with the Charleswood United Church and planned various activities and events, sang with the choir and was a part of the church’s women’s organization. Their son Larry, played and coached hockey with the Varsity View Community Club and eventually went on to manage the Charleswood Hawks. Their daughter, Derrene is a member of the Charleswood Historical Society and still resides in the area with her own family.

Sansregret Court

Private Alexander Sansregret was a butcher before he served with the 46th Battalion, Canadian Infantry in World War I. He died on September 3rd, 1918 due to wounds he endured in action. He was 32 years old.

Spillett Cove

Jack and Gladys Spillett moved to 670 Harstone Road on May 11th, 1946. Jack was extremely involved with the Charleswood Credit Union and assisted in the establishing Roblin Park Community Club. His wife, Gladys Spillett, served as a President for a term of the Roblin Park Community Club. Gladys, along with their son John, still live in Charleswood.

The people that inspired these street names give character to the community, and it’s important for those that are moving into the community to know the stories behind where they live.